Monday, July 2, 2012

Meatless Monday: Israeli Coucous

Hello! I hope everyone had a nice weekend! I mostly did- my poor little Lily had a little head cold, but it's mostly gone now. We mostly just relaxed and got chores done and hung out in the pool. Yes, it was that kind of weekend.

Today I'm sharing a simple side dish recipe that you could easily turn into the main course. They had this tasty coucous dish on sale at Shop Rite last week, so I decided to give it a try. Was super easy to make and yummy too, definitely something we'll be enjoying again in the future.


Israeli Couscous Side Dish
(serves 4-6)

Ingredients

1 package Israeli couscous
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp olive oil
Half a lemon, sliced
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp dried parsley or fresh chopped parsley

Saute the onion and garlic in the olive oil in a medium sized pot over low heat. Once fragrant and slightly browned, add the dry couscous and stir together to coat. Add water according to package instructions and bring to a boil. Mix in the salt, pepper, and parsley. Juice the lemon slices into the couscous, then throw the rinds in and cook for 10-12 minutes or until water is completely absorbed. Serve with fish, salad or whatever you'd like.


Dry couscous just put into the pot

After water has been absorbed

Lily and I had ours with fish sticks :)

YUM

This is something every kid should enjoy, even babies old enough to eat pasta. You could make it in any of these ways as well:
  • butter and Parmesan
  • mixed herbs
  • chilled with cucumber and mint
 If you can't find this type of couscous, regular couscous or pearl-shaped pasta would work just as well. Enjoy and have a happy Meatless Monday!
By the way- what are your 4th of July plans? Have a nice holiday!

6 comments:

  1. I've never made couscous before, but I think I'm going to have to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never been sure about couscous - but this looks lovely.

    I found this via Simple Living with Diane Balch. I linked in a retro steak dish. Have a super week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Israel couscous... and I'm finding Shoprite to really have a great selection of international foods.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always looking for new couscous recipes! Thanks so much for linking up at Mealtime Monday! Can’t wait to see what you like up tomorrow night!

    Kaylee
    www.couponingncooking.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks delicious, I have a package of Israeli coucous going to make it tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never seen tri-color israeli couscous. intriguing! Please stop by and link them to Foodie Friday

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments and always want to know what you think :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...